Please find information about how we respond to winter weather conditions.
Information updated August 2023
- Road clearance
- Highways clear the main route through Northleach as part of Gloucestershire’s strategic network. They do not have the resources to do side streets and sometimes these are cleared by the local Snow Plough Operator as directed by Highways. (Please note that the Snow Plough Operator will not always be able to clear these side roads as this depends on resource, time and the number of parked cars).
- Here is the link to the Gloucestershire Highways snow clearing map which shows the Strategic Network of roads that Highways will clear: gloucestershire.gov.uk/roads-parking-and-rights-of-way/roads/roads-in-severe-weather/winter/.
- This link also gives advice on how to prepare for cold weather, looking after yourself and neighbours, NHS advice, Met Office information, gritting and the Government Cold Weather Plan.
- Highways will grit the main route, the Strategic Network, only when the weather conditions indicate icy conditions. Highways are responsible for the road network and during adverse winter weather Gloucestershire Highways’ resources are focused on keeping the strategic carriageway network running, with priority being given to bus routes, schools, and routes with emergency services such as hospitals, doctors, fire and ambulance stations.
- In addition, residents are able to help themselves to grit from the bins across Town. The grit bins across Town were filled in the Autumn. The Town Council, working with the local Snow Warden will try to replenish these after heavy use if we have the grit and resources to do so.
- The Town Council try to assist Highways by ordering salt stocks, checking on the grit bins and refilling them if we have stock to do so. (Please let us know if your local bin is running low by emailing email@example.com).
- Please find the latest grit bin location map above.
- Please note that different types and amounts of snow will determine the actions taken locally and these may differ across Town.
- The following areas have been identified as “priority areas” – The Market Place, The Surgery, The Fire Station and the School however clearing these depends on resource, time, access and whether it is safe to do so. There may be times where the Town Council will ask for volunteers from across Town to assist in clearing these areas if other resources are unavailable. In these cases, volunteers will be called on via the Community Email List and Facebook.
- Gritting on pavements and footpaths
- Residents often ask if they can clear and grit pavements and yes you can if you use a common-sense approach. See the Government website for their advice: gov.uk/clear-snow-road-path-cycleway.
- Please help yourself to grit if you want to use it on public land like roads and pavements. Please do NOT use it on private drives as that is illegal use and you can be prosecuted.
- Here’s a link to GCC’s Snow Clearing guide.
- How can residents help?
- If everyone (who is able) can clear the area outside of their property this will have a huge positive impact. In some areas of Northleach this works really well with groups of residents working together to clear their roads.
- Residents on Farmington Road (specifically near the Vets) and Eastington Road are asked not to park along there when snow is expected. These roads are narrow with a camber that makes it difficult for the plough to pass through.
- Please be prepared and check out our Household Emergency Plan (coming soon), which gives some good advice about what to do in an emergency, how to prepare your family and a list of useful numbers.
- If possible, try and get a plastic headed snow shovel, a small container for grit or a wheelbarrow for moving snow. Empty milk bottles cut in half make good scoops for spreading grit.
- Please check on your neighbours who may not wish to venture out in the snow or icy conditions. This is not limited to the elderly. Families of all ages might need assistance.
- Please use the following link for local winter advice from the UK Government via the Met Office Winter advice
- Gloucestershire Prepared has just published a booklet about how to respond in an emergency. You can find it on this link http://glosprepared.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Are-you-ready-booklet-Web-version.pdf.
- The Closed Schools website will show which schools are shut due to snow on https://closures.gloucestershire.gov.uk/.
- Gloucestershire County Council’s winter leaflet https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/media/1517507/winter-update-leaflet-a5s.pdf.
- All this information can be found on the Town website at https://www.northleach.gov.uk/your-town-council/winter-preparation/