The aim is to return on 1st June but when will it be confirmed?
The government will only confirm on 28th May if selected year groups will return on 1st June. They will only proceed with opening schools if the tests are met.
On 16 April the Government presented five tests for easing measures as:
1) Protect the NHS’s ability to cope. We must be confident that we are able to provide sufficient critical care and specialist treatment right across the UK.
2) See a sustained and consistent fall in the daily death rates from COVID-19 so we are confident that we have moved beyond the peak.
3) Reliable data from SAGE showing that the rate of infection is decreasing to manageable levels across the board.
4) Be confident that the range of operational challenges, including testing capacity and PPE, are in hand, with supply able to meet future demand.
5) Be confident that any adjustments to the current measures will not risk a second peak of infections that overwhelms the NHS.
The Frequently Asked Questions can be accessed here.