The Resiliance Planning Group has put together a short guide on surviving the winter weather, copied here.
This information is also available as an A4 flyer: Are you prepared for winter?
- Check with the local & national weather forecast www.metoffice.gov.uk.
- Listen to the local radio or TV news before clearing a path to get yourself safely out and join up with your neighbours.
- Check that your neighbours are OK and then clear your side road.
- If you cannot get out and need assistance then signal for someone to call.
- Spread grit thinly on the public footpaths and roads you have cleared.
- If you have to drive, ask yourself “Is my journey really necessary? Will I get home if I leave?” Tell someone your planned route and keep to main roads.
- When roads are closed it will be difficult for public transport to run.
- Check if your school is closed, visit www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/winter.
- Accidents do happen. When they do – help others or seek assistance.
- Do you have food and water to last at least two days?
- Do you have a working torch in case the electricity fails?
- If you have no heating, tell someone, then wrap yourself up with a blanket or duvet.
- If you need medicines or treatment and cannot get out – contact the relevant organisation and ask for assistance.